Monday, January 10, 2011

Dialect-able!

Yes, I used a super lame title. Deal.

I decided I wanted to be one of the cool kids, and went ahead and did the dialect vlog like Jessica, Kelly, and Hannah.

If you haven't heard about it/seen it yet, you say a list of words and answer a bunch of questions that people tend to say differently. I don't know how many people like to actually watch themselves on video, but I sure felt like one awkward turtle. Especially since I was in my pajamas and ready for bed.. and evidently thought that was an awesome time to video tape myself for the world wide webs. Anyway.

WOW the start of this video makes me look like a spaz.




So that's that. I don't know what I was talking about with the whole southern/Florida thing.. you can't really get much farther south than Florida in the US. Dumb. And the point of mentioning my mom being from the midwest is that she was SO adamant about me not picking up a Long Island (aka lawn-guyland) accent growing up.. anytime there was even a hint of a dropped "r" (gah-bage instead of garbage) or elongated wrong vowel sound (caw-fee instead of coffee) she would make me correct it. I think I occasionally slip, but I try super hard not to! (Gotta keep 'em guessing, you know.)

I totally think all you guys and gals should do this too. And let me know if you do!! Here's the list of words and questions:

Aunt, route, wash, oil, theater, iron, salmon, caramel, fire, water, sure, data, ruin, crayon, toilet, New Orleans, pecan, both, again, probably, spitting image, alabama, lawyer, coupon, mayonnaise, syrup, pajamas, caught

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
What do you call gym shoes?
What do you say to address a group of people?
What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
What do you call your grandparents?
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
What is the thing you change the TV channel with?

12 comments:

Anni said...

You're so cute! After watching everyone else's vlogs, I kind of want to try, too!

Amy said...

haahahah this was awesome - I don't know if I could do this :s I'm soooo camera shy and would sound like an idiot. But I say pop hahah - everyone in Canada does.
You might hate it less if you know it's called pop because the soda bottles used to make a "pop" sound when you would take off the cap. I just learned that recently.

Jumble Mash said...

What a great idea! I had dinner with Boyfriend's cousin on Saturday who are from Tennessee and I kept making them say stuff because I thought they sounded funny. hehe.

Layla said...

I don't think you have an accent at ALL. Long Island or otherwise! And I agree, what the heck is "pop"? Loved this and love your hair.

Jessica said...

"I've kind of picked up some Maryland...kind of...whatever they do here..." Hahahaha! So true, being in Virginia, Maryland people have an in between accent to me. Not southern, not northern.

You're adorable and I love that I can put your blogs to a voice now! Um, and yeah, we're gonna need to hang out. ;)

Christina said...

Love it! I definitely don't think you have a long island accent. I'm not sure what a mid-west accent sounds like, but I don't think you have one of those either :) So cool to hear how everyone sounds!

jacin {lovely little details} said...

i love hearing what everyone sounds like!

Hannah said...

You're cute! I also do the pecan pie - pecon thing! I still have no idea what its supposed to be called.

And MANY parts of Florida are NOT southern at all! So it made total sense with me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for not having the Long Island accent. Thank you. I don't know how many times I could thank you for that. It is like nails on a chalkboard to me. (Sorry to anyone who does!)

<3 ya!

Cole said...

I am so glad that you commented on my vlog about yours!
I really think our dialect is fairly similar, there are some other words that you said at the end that were almost identical to how I talk!
Isn't that weird considering we grew up nowhere near each other and our parents had that much influence over us!
But I have to tell you, it is most certainly pop, sorry to disappoint you :)

EmilyB said...

Dude, Marylanders say some weird shit. I definitely don't want to pick up anything from here. You do say "FlARida" instead of "FlORida." It's ok, though :) Super cute, Steph!

steph c said...

@Hannah I totally get it about the LI accent.. it's so terrible sometimes. Hurts my ears too ;) Oh, and it makes me feel way better that you understand the Florida thing.. makes total sense in mind lol.

@Emily Yeaaa I've been told I say that. I try saying "FlOrida" and it sounds weird, so now I say "flo.rida". Like the rapper. Yep.

kjpugs said...

SOMEONE ELSE WHO SAYS PILL BUG! YESSSSS!!!!!!!!! Maybe it's a NY/NJ thing?

Your accent is a ton more clear (as in, not polluted!) than anyone I know from LI!

I am still really excited that you said pill bug.