Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Number 7

Last night, I went with Scot to get his 7th tattoo. He has decided that he eventually wants a full sleeve on his right arm, which will be designed and tatted up within the next few years. This most recent tattoo would be the last one on his upper arm, before he focuses on his forearm and tying the whole thing together.

Anyway, I digress. Scot has wanted to get his mom's family's coat of arms tattooed on his inner bicep for a while now, since, according to him, his dad's family's "looks like it has 3 Jesus fish on it". (It doesn't.)

So he gave our tattoo guy Chris, who was visiting from California, the following image from a banner that his aunt had; it represents the German island that part of the family comes from.


I've mentioned this before, but Chris has done several of both mine and Scot's tattoos. He's an incredible artist, and it's well worth the wait for him to visit the east coast or even go out to the west coast to get work done from him.

That being said, tattooing commenced around 7pm.

Such a trooper.

Outline.. "Yes the flex was necessary."

Finished!

It took about 4 hours in all, making Scot a super trooper - he was really hurting by the end of it. Oh, and the yellow part behind the bird? Supposed to be all yellow.. not that nice shade of orange you see, caused by some blood leakage. That's gross, sorry.

The lucky jerk decided to take off of work today to let it heal up a bit, while yours truly had to get up at 6:15am, after not getting home until after midnight. I? Am not thrilled. I need my beauty rest, people.

Although.. I was pretty stoked last night, because the bathroom mirror at the tattoo shop had mustache sticker on it. So of course I had to take a picture.

15 comments:

Amy said...

That's amazing - I could NEVER take that long to get a tattoo... the longest one took was like 30 minutes and I was dying. DYING. I love sleeves! Stewart has two tattoos and is done - I really want him to get more, but he's all no I'm done. We'll see about that muahaha.

Laura Wynn said...

That mustache is awesome!!! baha!

megan said...

I love the mustache. I would have tried to peel it off and bring it home with me. I'm horrible.

Scot is brave. I would have given in after 10 mins. Looks awesome!

Nikki said...

Wow 4 hours?? I would have been in tears and run out screaming after like 30 minutes. I think my little one only took about 15 minutes and that was enough for me!

Anni said...

Man, four hours is tough! I was lucky and mine took maybe ten minutes needle to skin. But I already want another one. It's kind of crazy, I didn't expect to!

I love arm tats on guys, too. R is planning a shoulder or back one, maybe both.

As a side note, is it just me, or is our generation much more open to tattoos? I feel like almost everyone I know has or wants at least one. I wonder if professional rules about tattoos will ever change as a result?

Jessica said...

Four hours?! He really is a super trooper. Thirty minutes into mine and I was ready to be done.

He did an awesome job on Scot's tattoo! It looks amazing, the shading is perfect.

Meg O. said...

WOW... four hours?!?!?! yikes. It's an awesome tattoo, though! And I love the picture of you with the mustache ;)

MrsJYW said...

FOUR HOURS!?!?! WOAH. Talk about patience. I am a tattoo virgin, yet these photos, and all the others I've found in the last week on the web are making me itch for my first! :)

jacin {lovely little details} said...

all i can say is OW. i have a tiny star inside my left wrist and it hurt like a b*tch - for 10 seconds haha ;)

Jumble Mash said...

Love the tattoo! I was just telling my BFF I was to go in for #5 soon. Also...the mustache on the mirro=awesome.

FreeFlying said...

Oh my goodness! It's crazy how good that looks! I thought you were going to say it was too intricate of a design and it ended up looking like a big blob.

(Which would have been funny, though.)

(No it wouldn't have. Sorry.)

p.s. Thanks for the b-day wishes!

Layla said...

That looks AMAZING. Your guy does good work, no doubt. Does he only ever visit your area when he comes to the East coast or does he travel down and around?

(And 4 hours, psh! I've sat for 6 straight. :P )

Cole said...

Wow, Scott's got some crazy pain tolerance! I love his new tattoo, and I LOVE the 'stache mirror! I think we need to add one to one of our bathrooms!

Sailor July said...

Totally awesome! My wife is of Scottish royalty and has thought of getting her family's crest somewhere on her body. We both would LOVE a tattoo (or me, possibly more than one!) I just am a bit of a chicken. ;)

Your husbands tattoo is totally bad ass!!!

steph c said...

I relayed all your comments to Scot.. you just expanded his ego by a bajillion times, if that's even possible. But he says "thanks!" for all the kind words!

@Anni I actually pondered the same thing a while ago! One of my posts that I linked to in this one, called "Ink Me", has my thoughts on the matter; I'm actually surprised that the law firm I work at is ok with some of mine showing. Goes to show the standards are changing!

@FreeFlying You totally just cracked me up. That would SUCK. Although I'd probably giggle a bit too.

@Layla We have this theory that the older you get, the more painful it gets. Or he's just a wuss, it's ok ;) And our tat guy sometimes does expos and conventions, but for the most part he stays put, unfortunately.